Frequently Asked Questions

Please do not hesitate to contact us if your question is not addressed below.

  • What should I do if my child is struggling emotionally?  Expand / Close

    Every student has a form tutor who knows the individual best of all.  They are the best person to contact first.  All students also have a Head of Year who will find time to talk through any individual’s difficulties and suggests ways, inside and outside of school, that help can be sought.  The Student Support Centre team are also available to offer guidance, assistance, help and support for students experiencing difficulties in any aspect of their school life. Finally, the Chaplaincy also offers a quiet space and an experienced Chaplain who can provide help, spiritual and emotional support. 

  • What should I do if I hear sexist, racist, disablist, homophobic or transphobic language being used?  Expand / Close

    Derogatory and discriminatory language and actions have no place in school or society.  At Saint Aidan’s, we celebrate diversity and inclusion and have clear policies and processes in place to protect all from any form of bullying.  We should challenge anything we believe to be offensive and/or hurtful to any group or individual in school. 

    Should you witness any behaviour of this sort, please bring it to the attention of the school.  It is everyone’s duty to protect one another.  You can report your concerns through any member of staff or via the dedicated email address:  

  • What should I do if I am worried about the safety of a student?  Expand / Close

    Every member of the Saint Aidan’s family has a safeguarding role to play – and this includes students, staff, parents and governors.  If you have a safeguarding concern, please report your concerns.  Should you wish to speak directly to any of our DSL-trained staff (Mr Lord, Mrs Bray or Mrs Nowotarski), their contact details can be found in the Safeguarding section here

    Concerns can also be raised via our dedicated email address:

    Students should also feel confident and comfortable sharing any concerns with their form tutor or Head of Year. 

  • We are struggling financially, how do we apply for free school meals? Expand / Close

    You can register your child for Free School Meals if you get any of these benefits:

    • Universal Credit with a household income of less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
    • Income-Based Jobseekers’ Allowance
    • Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance
    • Child Tax Credit, not entitled to Working Tax Credit and household income less than £16,190
    • Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
    • Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
    • Income Support
    • Working Tax Credit ‘run on’ – the payment you receive for a further four weeks after you finish work

    Registering is really quick and easy – if you think you qualify, contact school on 01253 810504 and we will help you to register.

  • How do I find out which school bus my child can catch to Saint Aidan’s? Expand / Close

    Saint Aidan’s is served by a number of special buses that transport students to and from their home areas. In addition to the buses from the Over Wyre villages, there are buses from Poulton, Carleton, Thornton-Cleveleys, Fleetwood, Blackpool and Garstang. Please see our transport section for more information.

  • How can my child get home if they stop for extracurricular activities? Expand / Close

    Children can either be collected by parents from school or can catch the 2C public bus service from the top of Cartgate. This bus travels over Shard Bridge to Poulton and is a popular way for many children to get home after attending extracurricular activities.

  • I want to take my child out of school for a holiday during term time, what is the process? Expand / Close

    We strongly advise that any family holidays are not taken during term time as this is detrimental to your child’s education. The school holiday dates are on our website, please check before booking.

    If you do decide to book a holiday during term time, you will need to contact your child’s form tutor by email or in writing with the holiday dates. This will be passed on to the school’s attendance officer to request permission. Lancashire Education Authority will assess any requests of leave during term time and will decide if any penalty is to be applied.

  • How do I apply for a place at Saint Aidan’s? Expand / Close

    Please see our admissions section for details on joining Saint Aidan’s.

  • I am concerned about my child’s progress, who do I contact? Expand / Close

    In the first instance please contact your child’s form tutor either through Synergy or by email. The form tutor will have an overview of your child’s progress in all subject areas.

    If you have concerns about a specific subject area you should contact the subject teacher through Synergy.

  • My child has an appointment, how do I let school know? Expand / Close

    If your child has an appointment, please contact the form tutor through Synergy or email, or write a note and send it in with them. We ask for confirmation of any medical appointments with a card from the receptionist at the surgery/ practice.